200g plain flour
130g butter, cubed, cold
60g caster sugar
Pinch of fine salt
Optional flavourings; vanilla extract, ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, chopped herbs, lemon zest, lavender etc.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl. Stir in the sugar and pinch of salt. If you are adding an extra flavour-add in now.
- Rub in the cubed butter with your fingertips until the whole mixture comes together to form a sandy texture. Knead only very slightly to form it into a soft and slightly crumbly pastry dough.
- Press the mixture into a baking tray and either press or roll out to about 1/1.2cm thickness between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Lightly mark the biscuits with a knife so it is easier to divide later and use a fork to mark them in the classic style so they cook evenly.
- At this point, the dough could be chilled or even frozen to use at a later date.
- When ready, bake for 30-35 minutes or until pale golden (turn tray half way through cooking if needed).
- Cut into fingers and allow to cool, then top with a sprinkle of flavoured sugar such as; vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, rosemary etc. depending on your sable flavour.
- Will keep well in sealed container at room temperature for 3-4 days.